Dominion Theological Seminary welcomes the opportunity to receive recommendations and nominations of persons in the ministry who deserve the special recognition and honor of receiving the Honorary Doctorate of Divinity Degree.
However, each applicant must meet the criteria established by the DTS Board of Regents which will also be based upon their evaluation of information provided about the candidates.
The recipient must have contributed in an exceptional way to the furtherance of the gospel and service of humankind for more than twenty years, and be obviously deserving of such an honor.
The work accomplished must be related to the core principles of Dominion Theological Seminary, which was founded for the purpose of furthering the gospel and serving people.
The Honorary Doctorate Degree is conferred upon distinguished Pastors, Evangelists, Ministers, and other Christian Leaders or Public Servants who have made significant contributions in their respective fields or for the extension of God’s Kingdom.
Honorary Doctorate Requirements
An honorary degree (honoris causa) (Latin: “for the sake of the honor”) is an academic degree for which a university has waived the usual requirements of a Doctorate Degree.
The degree is typically a doctorate and may be awarded to someone who has no prior connection with the institution.
- Must be at least 40 years old.
- Must submit a copy of High School Diploma or Equivalency Diploma.
- Send us copies of all your degrees, credentials, licenses, or other documentation.
- Send us a recent photo.
- Submit a completed exhaustive bio including extreme details of all your ministry, community, social, and or political experiences.
- Write a one to two-page statement listing your qualifications, and why you believe you or the candidate should be awarded an Honorary Doctorate Degree.
- Produce substantial evidence that you are a licensed or ordained minister of the Gospel.
- Verify that you have had at least 20 or more years of ministerial experience.
- Secure the endorsement of three other ordained ministers, or other prominent church leaders. (3 Reference Letters)
- Prepare a 25-page essay research paper on a topic chosen by the Dean of administration, or an approved topic chosen by the candidate for the honorary degree.
- Complete and pass a 100 question Bible knowledge Equivalency Exam. (Take Home Exam)
- Submit an application for Honorary Doctorate Degree.
Honorary Doctorate Degrees Offered
Dominion Theological Seminary currently offers two Honorary Doctorate Degrees. You may choose which best fits the candidate.
A) Doctor of Divinity (DD or DDiv; Latin: Doctor Divinitatis)
A Doctor of Divinity is an honorary degree. The title is bestowed to individuals who have devoted their lives to theological pursuits or community betterment.
B) Doctor of Humane Letters (D.H.L., L.H.D., or D.HumL. Latin: Litterarum humanarum doctor)
An honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters is one of several types of honorary degrees. Many universities confer the degree upon individuals who have distinguished themselves, usually in areas related to the humanities. They also may award the degree to honor contributions to society in general.
It is truly our honor to bestow this honor upon the great man and women of God, who’ve spent years working diligently in the furtherance, and the upbuilding of the Kingdom of God.